Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Good ol Lucky


I decided to hop on my motorbike (fondly nicknamed Lucky) this evening to go for a ride. She has been neglected in not being ridden for a few weeks due to the weather and lack of time. I rode around the area on some country roads for about 45 minutes. The sun was getting low in the west, and only the roar of the four 30 year old Asian pistons was in my ears. As I got within a few miles of town I had the thought that I smelled gas. I trudged onward. As I slowed coming into town she almost died, stuttered a few times and I limped her to the closest gas station where as I slowed to turn in, she died. I pulled in the clutch and coasted to a stop in a parking space. Well, upon investigation I had a leak from a secondary gas tank line and it had leaked out all my fuel. I asked the attendant for a pair of scissors, and bought a sharpie marker. As I walked out the door I opened and threw away the package and the sharpie, leaving only the cap and scissors. I cut the line, stuffed the cap in, and brought back the scissors. I put in a gallon of gas (which unbelievably was under $2) I made my was home and it was only then did I realize that I had not gotten upset, angry, worried, frustrated, or anxious. I had a problem, and I calmly solved it the best way I had available to me. This little experience and the way I reacted really showed me the bond of man and machine.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a great story! Good for you for staying calm...I'm still working on that. In case you hadn't realized, I'm a bit of a control freak...

maria