Wednesday, December 09, 2009

THE SNUB.

THE SNUB.
Made famous in this clip.






So I was walking into the local Wal-Mart and on my way in I spotted a young woman walking near the building on her way in too.  You know that thing where you can recognize someone from behind just by their walk, stature, clothes.  It was that kind of thing that made me double take her.  She seemed strangely familiar.  I kept on my path glancing over until at about 30 feet I knew it was her.  It was decision time.

It was seven years ago now when I met her in school.  I always had a liking for this little doll, she knew it, I knew it, it was no secret.  I did my best.  But to no avail, alas she was too into the bad boys, the hipster trendy rock guys with loads of flair and storied upbringings.  I think I was too bland, too predictable, too honest and transparent for her.  We had been in contact on and off over the past seven years, and in some moments, I thought she might give me a chance.  I met her family, she met mine.  But , wrong again, no dice.  sorry kid.......come back another day.

So my mind started racing on what to do.  I slowed my walk and even for a second considered turning around until I was clear of her, but I kept on.  I sped up my pace with continued glances at her.  I was trying to convince myself it wasn't her, as its been probably 2 years since I've seen her last.  At about 20 feet from her, she glanced up, and I met her eyes for about 1 second, I could see her searching her mind trying to convince herself it wasnt me.  It was a long second, but I looked away pretending to be looking through her and not AT her, and I sharply turned in the door when she was within 15 feet.  I heard a faint "bonacci!"  I kept on, never looked back.  I didnt seem to conciously make the decision, I just followed where my legs seemed to be taking me.  I WANTED to stop and chat with her, see how she was doing, but I didn't feel she deserved the satisfaction of knowing I was happy to see her.  She cut me out of her life, it wasn't my decision.  The funny thing is that if she called me today and wanted to get together , I would in a minute, we just got on that well together.  I think I was almost embarrased to see her, as I wouldnt be able to keep the straight face she deserves, I would fold my hand down on the table and smile.  So I did the only thing I could, pretend not to see her.  That's what she wanted from me anyway, isn't it?

It's a shame really, things could have been so much different.  Maybe its not the last chapter in the book, I don't know.  But I do know that in the past 7 years she never gave me a chance, so on this day, I didn't give her one.

1 comment:

Emmeline49 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.