Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Perfection

I was chatting with a co-worker today and she told me I was too big of a perfectionist.  I took rather offense to that, as if it was a bad thing.  But the comment did get me thinking.

I mean, I'm not naturally an organized or ocd individual.  I have to try to be.  I guess when I work, I would rather take the time and care to do the best job possible.  Any less and it really isn't worth doing.  Its a slippery slope from there to doing shoddy crap work.  I am pretty much all or nothing with a lot of things.  Not to mention I HATE doing things twice.  In fact, if I even stop on a project, it is very hard pushin to get it rollin again.

I am in the process of really trying to get my life organized , and after it is organized, trim off all the fat.  I am going to slim down on all my "stuff" and focus on what I decide should get done.  I have made some pretty good strides lately with this, and I attribute this mostly due to a new job that has much less stress and anxiety.  I am more motivated in the spare time I have to get 'er done.  I am hopefully going to have a plan in place by march to what I would like to accoplish, when I am going to sign a 2 year extension to my current rental agreement.  I am hoping it will be the last time I sign.

 Time will tell.  Look back on this post march 2012.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just a thought. Contrast the word "perfection" with "excellence." I think on the surface, someone might reflexively say they're very similar, but I don't think they are. First, one is attainable while the other is not. I think much of what you're describing above as far as changes and desired changes point towards excellence. You don't need to be perfectly organized, or flawlessly together. As a matter of fact, flawed people like me would find you annoying if you were. :-) However, if you see places for improvement and are striving to improve in those areas, that speaks of a desire for excellence. If you see areas where you think you're good and desire to be better, that still speaks of excellence. I think, and I could be wrong here, that that if there are areas where you ARE goood but don't think you are. You are always finding flaws and never happy about your work. Well, in my opinion, you're dealing with the other.

There's my two cents. If it sounds preachy, I apologize. If it sounds "Big brothery," well then, that's ok. :-)