Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Made In China

On a trip to the mall today while doing a little christmas shopping I stopped into some old stomping grounds.  I used to manage a shoe store years ago and I heard an old co manager was back with the company.  I went in and chatted with her for a few minutes.  Good to see her again.  I got to looking around and noticed that they had a nice pair of Dr. Martens boots on sale.  I needed a pair of boots.  After a few minutes schmoozing I got an employee discount on top of the sale price.  


Dr. Martens are known for their quality made shoes and boots made in England since Dr. Klaus Martens started tinkering with making his own boots in 1947.  I was glad I had I had another trusty pair of "docs" UNTIL I GOT HOME.


I removed the laces and was lacing them up the way I prefer, and was dismayed to see the label under the tounge read "Made in China" 


Upon research here I confirmed it.


"On 1 April 2003, under pressure from declining sales, the Dr. Martens company ceased all production in the United Kingdom,[1] with production moved to China and Thailand. "


I inspected the boots a little closer, and the quality still seems to be the same.  The materials, stitching, and rivets look the same.  


But for some reason, I just don't think they will ever feel as good under my feet as they used to knowing they came from China and not Northamptonshire, Leicestershire and Somerset.  Pity.

No comments: